Indiana university bloomington dating
By 1869, Tippecanoe County’s offer included 0,000 (equivalent to .7 million in 2016) from Lafayette business leader and philanthropist John Purdue, ,000 from the county, and 100 acres (0.4 km) of land from local residents.
On May 6, 1869, the General Assembly established the institution in Tippecanoe County as Purdue University, in the name of the principal benefactor.
Purdue’s on-campus housing became racially desegregated in 1947, following pressure from Purdue President Frederick L. A decade-long construction program emphasized science and research.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s the university established programs in veterinary medicine, industrial management, and nursing, as well as the first computer science department in the United States.
The School of Agriculture was sharing its research with farmers throughout the state with its cooperative extension services and would undergo a period of growth over the following two decades.
The programs in liberal arts and education, formerly administered by the School of Science, were soon split into their own school.
The official seal of Purdue was officially inaugurated during the university's centennial in 1969.
Classes began at Purdue on September 16, 1874, with six instructors and 39 students. White, the university’s president from 1876 to 1883, followed a strict interpretation of the Morrill Act.
Rather than emulate the classical universities, White believed that Purdue should be an "industrial college" and devote its resources toward providing a liberal (or broad) education with an emphasis on science, technology, and agriculture.
State Street, which is concurrent with State Road 26, divides the northern and southern portions of campus.